In the One Room Challenge Week Three I am preparing, planning and prepping for the big projects coming up. Now that we have a beautiful new chandelier in my primary bedroom I can see to do all things I need to do for next steps!
How Do I Start My Room Makeover?
The Preparing Part of Preparing Planning and Prepping
I am officially moved into the guest bedroom …
It’s official – I do not work well downstairs. All the things to do are so distracting!
And the dog is officially confused. He wants to be in “his” room with his window, on his bed, and under my desk!
Since I’ve cleared clothes, myself and the dog out of the room I can
- Pack up décor pieces that will stay in the room but need to be moved in order to paint.
- Move clothes out of furniture that needs to painted.
- Create a box or pile to give away to someone who can “fifth sparrow no more” the pieces for their home.
What Do I Need For A Room Makeover?
The Planning Part of Preparing Planning and Prepping
Measuring And Supplies
- Measure each wall
- Make notations of door swing – this will remove some of your wall measurement
- Add inches on either sides of window measurements to allow for curtains
- Measure all places where a feature juts out in room. For example the chimney juts out in my primary bedroom and makes a small alcove by the bathroom.
Measure Furniture Using In Room
- Measure width, depth and height of each piece
- Write this down with your wall measurements
- Make a note of any door or drawer openings. Be sure that you have enough room to stand comfortably in between furniture to fully open these.
- Be aware of light switches and height of furniture. Is there enough clearance?
A Room Diagram With Measurements
- Transfer your measurements to a diagram
- Place furniture in room paying attention to door swing, light switches and height of furniture, and door/drawer openings
- Check it – do you have space to comfortably walk through the room?
- Does furniture placement make sense with the function it needs to serve? For example, the office space needs uninterrupted wall space for a project coming up and enough room for desk chair to slide in and out.
I transferred my measurements to this diagram (completely not to scale!) so I could see clearly where all the furniture is being placed.
Supplies – Planning For What You’ll Need For A Room Makeover
For each room this supply list will be different! Determine the functionality of the room. What will you need for each part of the room. Since my primary bedroom serves as my office too I’ll need office organization and bedroom décor like bedding and dressers.
For this makeover I am changing the look of the room with paint and fabric. So I determined my color scheme and purchased paint for the walls, furniture, and organization pieces and fabric for windows and bedding.
This is a list of everything I’ve thought of that you need to redecorate your bedroom below.
- Bed/ Mattress
- Paint / Wallpaper
- Feature Wall
- Wall Lighting
- Floor Lamps
- Table Lamps
- Overhead Lighting / Fan
- Wood / Carpeted / Other
- Curtains / Blinds
- Bedside Tables
- Under Bed Drawers / Storage Boxes
- Decor For Creating Vignettes (Put personality in the room)
- Photos / Frames
- Pillow Cases
- Duvet / Comforter / Quilt
- Duvet Cover
- Bed Sheets
- Valance / bed skirt
- Quilt / Throws
This is a list of everything I’ve thought of that you need to redecorate your office area in a small space below.
- Desk / Work Surface
- Organization Pieces
- Baskets / Crates
- Pegboard / Wall Storage
- Desk Chair
- Desk Lamps
- Work Lights
- Accessories / Décor Pieces (Add your personality without cluttering)
What Do I Do To Get Ready For A Room Makeover?
The Prepping Part of Preparing Planning and Prepping
I love to do good clean before I start! Wipe down walls and baseboards, clean or vacuum the flooring, and prep any furniture for paint.
Remove all nails, wall anchors, and screws from walls. Use spackle to fill these holes.
Move anything unnecessary out of the room so you’re able to work easily and efficiently.
Before You Run Off To Prepare, Plan and Prep For Your Room Makeover
There is so much inspiration from all the participants of the One Room Challenge – make sure and check out what they have done in Week Three. Pin this post to Pinterest to help you makeover your room – hover over any picture to save it to your account. So easy!