Easy DIY Lampshade Makeover
This easy DIY lampshade makeover “fifth sparrow no more-s” a lampshade after getting rescued from the trash. Let’s create a beautiful shabby chic lampshade with a quick and simple DIY no sew fabric project.
It’s first repurpose was a cloche after its dirty fabric was removed.
This lampshade is now returning to its original purpose with this easy project of knotting strips of chiffon and chenille bias tape around the lampshade frame. It will be the perfect feminine touch to this 1940’s hand painted ceramic lamp, I think! You can also makeover a thrift store lamp for your new to you lampshade!
Easy DIY Lampshade Makeover – The Steps To Makeover Yours
Gather your supplies
- Chiffon – I used 2 1/4 yards for this lampshade.
- Quilting Ruler or Yardstick
- Chenille Bias Tape – I used about 30 yards
- Tape Measure
- Cutting Mat
- Your Lampshade, stripped of it’s original fabric
- Cute helper is optional but always a good idea. My Taquito helps a lot!
Measure and Cut Your Strips of Material and Bias Tape
- Using the measuring tape measure the height of your lampshade
- Add seven inches to this measurement to allow you room to tie your knot.
- Cut your strips into your height of lampshade plus seven inches and three inches wide.
- Cut chenille bias tape to the height of your lampshade plus seven inches.
- Tie your strips around your lampshade frame. I found it easier to tie the strips to the lampshade while on the lamp! I tied all of my chiffon strips onto my lampshade and went back in with my chenille bias tape and filled in. My knots were all over the place (story of my life!).
More Ideas for a Shabby Chic Lampshade Makeover
- Tie all your knots at the bottom of the frame to create a ruffle or fringe.
- Alternate your knots top and bottom so that you have ruffle or fringe on the top and bottom.
- Tie the knots and move them to the inside so you have a smooth chiffon lampshade cover.
The Finished Lampshade Makeover
The fifth sparrow no more, this lampshade is now a beautiful, frilly and shabby chic addition to this hand painted ceramic lamp.
Before You Fly Away To Create An Easy DIY Lampshade Makeover
Pin any of the images to Pinterest so you can create your own shabby chic lamps – hover over any picture to save the pin to your Pinterest account. So easy!