A Vintage School Desk Easily Repurposed For Your Plants
Do you dumpster dive? Are you roadside treasure collector? An embarrassment to teenagers, yours and their friends in the car? Well next time you see a vintage school desk on the side of the road hit the brakes! I want to show you how a vintage school desk is easily repurposed for your plants by combining it with a soda crate and using Rust-Oleum spray paint.
This is the roadside vintage school desk I came to a screeching (literally) halt for! Isn’t she the cutest thing? Can you imagine the learning, the pranks, the naps taken at this desk? I just love the stories that come with vintage pieces. Now what to do with it?!?
Vintage Desk Repurposed As A Planter – The Steps
The Process – Vintage School Desk Easily Repurposed For Plants
Step One – Scrape Paint
- Remove desk of school desk
- Using a wire brush, scrape all loose paint
- Use sand paper to smooth rough spots
Step Two – Cleaning
- Wipe down with a dry cloth
- Using Krud Cutter scrub away all dirt
- Hose off all cleaner
- Let dry in sunshine 🙂
Step Three – Covering and Spraying
- Cover wood parts with paper and tape
- Using light even strokes spray with the Rust-Oleum spray paint of your color choice
- Let dry for twenty four hours
Step Four – Attach Soda Crate
- Lay your soda crate on desk arms and mark the holes in the desk arm
- Drill holes in the soda crate (this is a pilot hole, read more about that here
- Attach soda crate to desk arms with original screws
Watch the transformation here!!
A Vintage School Desk Easily Repurposed – Display On Your Porch or Patio
Country Living has a great list of vintage gardening implements here that you can use on your porch or patio with your vintage school desk planter.
I used some vintage gardening pieces as well as some vintage items I love!
- Seed packets – you can find download, print and assemble here
- Old toolboxes
- Cast Iron Potting Caddy and Spade
- Gardening books – I love to decorate with books!
Before You Run Off To “Fifth Sparrow No More” A Vintage School Desk …
Pin this post to Pinterest to help you remember all of the steps and ideas – hover over any picture or the image below to save it to your account. So easy! And to make it super easy to find all of the things to make your porch display pretty while thrift shopping, I created the Thrift Store Shopping Guide. It has lists of items to look for, more ideas how to use them, and printable lists to fill in and keep you organized and on track!
This project turned out beautifully, Kristin! You are very creative! I’ve pinned this post and also followed you on Pinterest. Thank you for being a part of Hearth and Soul.
Thank you so much April – I appreciate the love for my post! 💜🐦